New Leadership for the Boys Basketball Program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coach Hatchett became head of the boys basketball program this year.

Peyton Fisher and Aisha Ahmadi

Michael Jordan once said, “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” The Heritage High School athletic department has comprised a group of young athletes that “make it happen” with the help of the new varsity boys basketball coaches, Coach Hatchett and Coach Sellars. As expected, with the arrival of any new authority figures, there are many changes affecting different aspects of the sport. These changes could be things such as coaching style, new workouts, building character in athletes, conformity, and overall teamwork.  After speaking to Coach Hatchett, it gave insight into his mentality as a coach and role model.

“My main goal when training my athletes is to make them the best physically and mentally prepared that they can be,” says Hatchett.

The transition into becoming the team’s coach was not easy for Hatchett. When he first started coaching the team, the athletes were used to running practices and games a certain way. “It was challenging to change their mindset from doing things the old way to my way,” Hatchett says. Hatchett values building character in his athletes, so the players did many team-building events outside of school, such as going to elementary schools to help kids and being more active in the community.

Besides Hatchett, the players on the team also have their opinions on the new changes. Moustapha Sene, senior, said, “I like Coach Hatchett’s new coaching style because practices are harder, so it makes the games easier. We’re also more of a family than a team.”  In agreement to that statement, Max Jannes, sophomore, loves the new coaches and changes that they brought in. Jannes believes that the changes are beneficial to the team, as they now play at a faster pace. In contrast, Loic Ndjomgoue, junior, says, “I think the new coaching style quickly adapted to a few players, but others are still getting used to it.” However, all the athletes agree that the team feels more like a family.

Also, new this year, the athletes have started wearing suits and ties to school on home game days. “I really like them. You have to dress well to play good,” Jannes says. On the other side, Sene says, “I don’t mind it. I think it’s more an intimidation factor.”

The basketball team’s changes and improvements are leading to what can be a positive future for the already great program.

About the Writers
Peyton Fisher, Staff Writer

Peyton Fisher is a sophomore at Heritage High School, and this is her second year of journalism. She does varsity cheer for Heritage, and she likes to...

Aisha Ahmadi, Staff Writer

Meet Aisha Ahmadi, a 15 year old sophomore at Heritage High! Although her passions are endless, nothing can match the things she loves to do outside of...

• New Leadership for the Boys Basketball Program

Sports

CLBL: A League for Everyone

Sports

One Step Back, Two Steps Forward

Sports

Super Bowl LIII Predictions

Sports

America Runs On Winter Track

Sports

NFL Fans at Heritage!

• Sports

Pride Freshmen Boys Basketball vs Tuscarora

Sports

Football Team Takeaway

• Sports

Pride JV and Freshman Football Take On The Riverside Rams

Sports

Military Appreciation Game

Sports

What’s Up With the New Field?