SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Back to Article
Back to Article

SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Mackenna Myers and Sophia Chemala

We all know that the SAT is an entrance exam for college, but what do the people at Heritage think of them? Two teachers and two students answered a couple of questions including whether they thought the SAT is a good or bad representation of a student’s knowledge. In addition, the students and teachers discussed their thoughts on whether or not the SAT is necessary for college preparation. Lastly, the students and teachers expressed what they would change about the SAT.

Mr. Jones, a school counselor, explains that the SAT is a test that has been developed by the college board to try to accurately represent a students capability of what they can do in college. However, a student’s test preparation or lack thereof can affect the scores. “Different people are at different levels when they take the test and they prepare differently,” said Jones. Mr. Smart,  the Heritage Safety and Security Officer added to this idea by saying that some kids test a little differently, or have bad anxiety when testing which would affect the outcome of the score.” Lastly, Holly Wilburn (Senior) feels the SAT is a poor representation of the student’s abilities,  “because they only cover a certain amount of information that you learn in school. They don’t cover science and they don’t cover more practical math.”  It is clear that not everyone agrees that the SAT is a good representation of a student’s knowledge, but some still see the value of taking the exam. According to Jimmy Galligan (Junior), “Personally, I think that it is a good representation of a student’s knowledge because without taking the SAT you can’t get into a good and prestigious college if that’s what you’re aiming for.”

The next question discussed was if the SAT is necessary for college preparation. Jimmy Galligan (Junior) responded, “I think the SAT is more than necessary for college preparation because when you get to college you will get a lot of curriculum you may not have seen before and the SAT will prepare you for that.”   While Mr. Jones did not agree that the exam was necessary for preparation, he did indicate the test shows what a student is capable of based on their knowledge base.  Mr. Smart provided another perspective when he said, “everybody is different, everyone comes from different backgrounds, so the SAT does not show all skills that everyone is capable of having.” Lastly, Holly Wilburn (Senior) noted, “I think that the SAT is necessary for college preparation because there are harder subjects and topics in college, so this is a good representation of what college will be like.”

Is the SAT in need of a makeover?  While some people could imagine improvements to the exam, Galligan noted, “I honestly  don’t think I’d change anything about the SAT except for maybe the scores to be a little lower, but other than that I think the SAT is very necessary for college preparation.” Mr. Jones expressed, “I don’t think it should be as heavily relied on as a student’s ability to get accepted/succeed in college.”  Holly Wilburn believes the test is too long, stating, “I would probably change the length of them.” Lastly, Mr. Smart could imagine a future where we don’t have the SAT at all.

There are pros and cons to every test, including the SAT. Even though different people have different opinions on the SAT,  one thing is certain for university bound students:  they have to take them. Learning good test taking skills and studying skills can help you to succeed on the SAT, and in every test that you have to take in your career in education.

About the Writer
Mackenna Myers, Staff Writer

Mackenna Myers is a sophomore at Heritage High School. This is her first year in Journalism, and she’s excited for what’s to come! She plays lacrosse...

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

Malls, Malls, Malls

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

What’s Your Type?

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

A Doughy Debate: Which Restaurant Has the Best Bread?

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

Juul: Not Much of a Jewel

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

The Dangerous Kraft

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

Do’s and Don’ts of a Movie Sequel

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Opinion

The New Apple Faces

• Opinion

Does Kahoot need the boot?

• Features

On the Flip Side

• SAT Exams- Are they necessary?

Features

The Week In Pictures: March 11-15

SAT Exams- Are they necessary?